Specialist services

Protection for charities who interact with the public

Public Liability

Although it’s not a legal requirement, the government advises that charities who run fundraising events, or occupy land and buildings should consider putting public liability insurance in place. It is certainly something that charities and not-for-profit organisations need to consider if they work with members of the public and vulnerable adults or children and will often be suggested within risk assessments.  

Cover for compensation claims   

Public liability insurance protects your charity or not-for-profit organisation against the potential cost of compensation claims from members of the public who are injured or whose personal property is damaged as a result of your activities. It’s important that your policy provides cover for all the activities and events that you are running, so keeping in touch with your broker and making your insurance provider aware of your activities is vital and your charity insurance adviser can help to advise you on the risks you may face.  

Extensions for added activities

Policies can be extended to include specific things that you do as part of your charity’s activities. For example, treatment risk insurance can be added in respect of administering medicines, which is an important concern if you are involved with any medication on behalf of your service users.

Scrutton Bland Office

Talk to an expert

The combined expertise of our charity insurance team can provide information and advice to your organisation, and will allow you to get on with the important work you do, knowing that you are protected against the specific risks your charity may face.  


Call us on 0330 058 6559
Email us at hello@scruttonbland.co.uk

The inside track

Read more News & Views
Need help? Contact one of our advisers